The BBL: Big Bash League Teams 2022/2023 is a professional Twenty20 cricket league in Australia. It was established in 2011 by Cricket Australia and has become one of the most popular sports leagues in the country. The BBL consists of eight teams representing different states and territories in Australia, including Adelaide Strikers, Brisbane Heat, Hobart Hurricanes, Melbourne Renegades, Melbourne Stars, Perth Scorchers, Sydney Sixers, and Sydney Thunder. The league runs from December to February each year and is followed by millions of cricket fans around the world. The 2022 edition of the BBL will be the 12th season of the league and is expected to be a highly competitive and exciting tournament.
History of the Big Bash League Teams:
The concept of a professional Twenty20 cricket league in Australia was first proposed by Cricket Australia in 2010. The aim was to create a shorter and more exciting version of the game that could attract a younger audience and boost the popularity of cricket in the country. The first edition of the BBL was held in 2011-12 and was won by the Sydney Sixers. Since then, the league has gone from strength to strength, attracting top international players and becoming one of the most watched sports leagues in Australia. The BBL has also spawned several spin-off leagues, including the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) and the Big Bash League (BBL) Kids Bash.
Format of the Big Bash League:
The BBL follows a round-robin format, with each team playing each other twice. The top four teams at the end of the league stage qualify for the knockout stage, which consists of two semi-finals and a final. The team that finishes on top of the points table after the league stage earns the right to host the final. The BBL also has a bonus point system, which rewards teams for scoring quickly, taking wickets, and restricting the opposition’s scoring. The team with the most points at the end of the tournament is declared the winner of the Big Bash League.
Teams of the Big Bash League:
The BBL consists of eight teams, each representing a different state or territory in Australia. Here is a brief overview of each team:
- Adelaide Strikers: The Adelaide Strikers are based in Adelaide, South Australia, and play their home matches at the Adelaide Oval. The team is captained by Travis Head and coached by Jason Gillespie. The Strikers have won the BBL twice, in the 2016-17 and 2018-19 seasons.
- Brisbane Heat: The Brisbane Heat are based in Brisbane, Queensland, and play their home matches at the Gabba. The team is captained by Chris Lynn and coached by Darren Lehmann. The Heat have won the BBL once, in the 2012-13 season.
- Hobart Hurricanes: The Hobart Hurricanes are based in Hobart, Tasmania, and play their home matches at Blundstone Arena. The team is captained by Matthew Wade and coached by Adam Griffith. The Hurricanes have yet to win the BBL.
- Melbourne Renegades: The Melbourne Renegades are based in Melbourne, Victoria, and play their home matches at Marvel Stadium. The team is captained by Aaron Finch and coached by Michael Klinger. The Renegades have yet to win the BBL.
- Melbourne Stars: The Melbourne Stars are also based in Melbourne, Victoria, and play their home matches at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The team is captained by Glenn Maxwell and coached by David Hussey. The Stars have yet to win the BBL.
- Perth Scorchers: The Perth Scorchers are based in Perth, Western Australia, and play their home matches at the Optus Stadium. The team is captained by Ashton Turner, coached by Adam Voges (Head coach), Location: Perth, Australia and Founded: 2011. The Stars have yet to win the BBL.
- Sydney Thunder: In Australia’s domestic Twenty20 cricket league, the Big Bash League, the Sydney Thunder is a franchise professional cricket side. The Thunder are the replacement team for the New South Wales Blues, who competed in the former KFC Twenty20 Big Bash, along with the Sydney Sixers. The team is captained by Chris Green, Jason Sangha (Acting), coached by Trevor Bayliss, Arena/Stadium: Sydney Showground, Founded: 2011 and BBL wins: 1 (BBL05).
- Sydney Sixers: The Sydney Sixers are a professional franchise men’s cricket side. The Sixers are the replacement team for the New South Wales Blues, who competed in the former KFC Twenty20 Big Bash, along with the Sydney Thunder. The team is captained by Moises Henriques, coached by Greg Shipperd (Head coach), Arena/Stadium: Sydney Cricket Ground, Founded: 2011, League: Big Bash League and BBL wins: 3 (BBL01, BBL09, BBL10).
With the help of Sportslive.to you can watch Live Streaming – Big Bash League 2022/2023 Schedule.