The Melbourne Renegades are a professional cricket team based in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. They play in the Big Bash League, a Twenty20 cricket competition that features eight teams from around Australia.
History of the Melbourne Renegades
The Formation of the Renegades
- The Melbourne Renegades were formed in 2011 as one of the eight founding teams in the Big Bash League.
- They are owned by the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC), which is one of the oldest and most prestigious cricket clubs in the world.
- The MCC has a long history of hosting international cricket matches at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), which is the home ground of the Renegades.
Early Struggles and Success
- The Renegades struggled in their first few seasons, finishing in the bottom half of the league table in each of their first three years.
- They made their first finals appearance in the 2014-15 season, but were eliminated in the semi-finals by the Perth Scorchers.
- The Renegades finally broke through for their first title in the 2018-19 season, defeating the Melbourne Stars in the final to claim the championship.
Current Squad and Coaching Staff
- The Melbourne Renegades are currently captained by Aaron Finch, who is one of the best batsmen in the world.
- Other key players in the Renegades squad include all-rounder Mohammad Nabi, fast bowler Kane Richardson, and leg-spinner Cameron Boyce.
- The team is coached by Michael Klinger, who is a former Australian domestic cricketer and has also played for the Renegades as a player.
Notable Achievements of the Melbourne Renegades
Big Bash League Titles
- As mentioned previously, the Melbourne Renegades won their first Big Bash League title in the 2018-19 season, defeating the Melbourne Stars in the final.
- They have also made the finals in three other seasons (2014-15, 2016-17, and 2020-21), but have yet to win a second championship.
Individual Player Honours
- A number of Renegades players have won individual honours in the Big Bash League over the years.
- Aaron Finch has won the tournament’s leading run-scorer award twice (2013-14 and 2018-19), and was also named player of the tournament in the 2018-19 season.
- Mohammad Nabi has won the Big Bash League’s leading wicket-taker award twice (2017-18 and 2018-19), and was also named player of the tournament in the 2017-18 season.
- Other Renegades players who have won individual honours in the Big Bash League include Sam Harper (leading run-scorer in the 2020-21 season) and Dan Christian (player of the tournament in the 2020-21 season).
Off-Field Activities and Community Engagement
Melbourne Renegades Foundation
- The Melbourne Renegades have a strong commitment to community engagement and giving back to the local community.
- To this end, they have established the Melbourne Renegades Foundation, which is a charitable organisation that aims to promote healthy lifestyles and positive social change through cricket.
- The foundation runs a number of initiatives, including community cricket programs, school visits, and health and wellness initiatives.
Corporate Partnerships and Sponsorships
- The Melbourne Renegades have a number of corporate partnerships and sponsorships that help to fund the team and its community engagement activities.
- Some of the team’s major sponsors include Victoria Bitter, Toyota, and the National Australia Bank.
With the help of Sportslive.to you can watch Live BBL: Big Bash League Streaming Android Apps.
Download SportsLive.to App and enjoy the trending live sports streams.